Loves Bay to Gerringong Walk
Grade: Medium/Hard Distance: 6km Time: 2hrs
This section is the most untouched, as you follow a zig-zag of coastal pastures south from Kiama Heights to Werri Beach. Your occasional partner on this journey is the South Coast railway, appearing and disappearing into tunnels carved more than 120 years ago. It is here, amongst the exposed clifftops, rainforest remnants and endless ocean views, that the weather can play a factor – so be prepared for all possibilities. There are notable number of hills and climbs in this section of the walk.
Kilometre markers inform your progress while providing fascinating facts of the history and geology of the local area. The Illawarra escarpment gently tumbles into the sea before your very eyes. Along the way, it’s possible to feel miles from civilization.
Dipping amongst rocky bays and finally to the tidal Werri Lagoon, the township of Gerringong sits atop the next hill.
Choose to walk along Werri beach or the adjacent sidewalk heading south. You will see the next green headland at the end of Werri Beach. Here you can either follow Belinda St 1.4 kilometres to the train station (via cafés and shops) to complete your loop or continue down the headland, finishing up at picturesque Boat Harbour.*
If you are still up for more, continue south towards beautiful Gerroa, which takes about 45 minutes to walk.
*Gerringong Bowling Club is offering a WALK + EAT + RIDE lunch special which includes a lift back to Kiama, if a minimum of $20 is spent at their club. Contact the club for more details or to make a booking: (02) 4234 1414.
• After heavy rain Werri Lagoon (Gerringong) may be open to the ocean. Check with Kiama Visitor Information Centre on 1300 654 262.
• Some parts of the walk are along unprotected cliff tops, so please do not leave children unattended.
• We recommend walking early morning to avoid the heat of the day during summer.
• Check for any expected bad weather before you leave.
• Travel smart – carry a water bottle, wear sunscreen and hat, and have a charged mobile phone.
• For taxi transport to and from the walk, call (02) 4237 7505. For train times, visit www.sydneytrains.info or download the TripView app.