The Kiama Lighthouse was established in 1887, 10 years after the creation of the Robertson Basin, a man made harbour to service Kiama’s supply of crushed blue metal and paving blocks for the streets of Sydney.
The original apparatus was an oil burner with a catadioptric fixed lens producing a light that was visible for nine miles. This was upgraded to the local town coal gas in 1908 with an intensity of 1,500 candelas and a range of fifteen miles. This was further upgraded to acetylene gas and group flashing in 1920. At this point the light was de-manned. In 1969 the light was converted to 240-volt mains electricity.
The principal Keeper’s House was destroyed by vandals in the 1920s. The single storey assistant Keeper’s House, used for many years as a residence for harbour pilots, is now a museum.
Kiama Lighthouse is located in Kiama on Blowhole Point, right next the the famous blowhole and only steps from the Kiama Visitor Information Centre.