Summer fun: school holiday activities in the Kiama area
The summer school holidays are a great time for kids to explore new things, find exciting adventures and make new friends. Take them on an holiday they’ll love and enjoy bragging about come the new school year.
We have a million and one ideas for you to kick-start the school holidays. Check out these fun and varied activities the whole family can enjoy:
- Illawarra Fly Zipline Tours – if you’re looking for some high-level fun then look no further! Whiz through the tree tops on Australia’s highest zipline tour or use the interactive app to snap a photo with the characters along the Gruffalo Spotter’s trail. If you’re seeking something more tranquil, take a walk out over the treetops for stunning views up and down the coastline. Don’t forget to check out the gift shop and Café 106.
- Surf Lessons – surf’s up for fun families! Everyone bonds through learning the art of surfing. Take your surfing skills to the next level while laughing and working up a sweat. You’ll be having so much fun you won’t even notice how much you’re exercising (promise!). Check out Surf Camp Australia and Gerringong Surf School.
- Jamberoo – dive-in cinema – can’t decide between a swim or the cinema? Why not do both! After a full day of fun at Jamberoo Action Park, sit back, relax and let yourself float away at Outback Bay. Enjoy sunset screenings of films throughout the summer school holidays, grab some popcorn or something more substantial –dinner sorted!
BONUS – if you’re a Season Pass holder, you can dive-in just for the films!
- Creative Workshops with Stacy Burgess – (for ages 8+) get those creative juices flowing in this workshop designed to cater for beginners through experienced. Some of the workshops include: eco-friendly hand bound notebooks/art journals, sculpture with cardboard, acrylic painting on canvas and mono printing and block printing.
- Foot golf – yes you read that correctly, you can play golf with your feet — and it is a growing sport! Gather round the greens for a day of fun with the entire family for something totally new, active and highly enjoyable!
- Golfing – or how about just a regular round of golf set on the most picturesque golf courses you have ever seen? Check out our golfing page to learn about our local courses.
- Swim – time to get your flippers wet! Not only do we have a water action park in Jamberoo, we have a leisure centre, beautiful rock pools, and of course there are plenty of beautiful beaches to choose from.
- Farm Tour – find your roots, or beetroots rather! Join the amazing team at Buena Vista Farm for a guided tour. See heritage hens, bees, beef cows, ducks, play with dairy goats and kids, and check out multiple gardens including a coffee grove of 100 established coffee trees! Witness sustainable small-scale farming in action to inspire the littles (and the bigs!). Cheese tasting and other product sampling included.
- Stand-up Paddleboarding – have you ever tried walking on water? Unfortunately it doesn’t work, unless you have a SUP! Paddleboarding is fun for the entire family, from the wee ones to the teen ones, all will have a laugh trying to balance on the board. The best part? Enjoying the scenery, sunshine and exercise. (Just one more fabulous way to wear them out before bedtime!).
- Horse riding – giddy-up, it’s time to go for a ride! Established for over 40 years, Kimberley Park Stud offers all age supervised, casual and fun rides. They specialise in teaching children and safe relaxed riding for those with a disability.
- Kiama Coast Walk – offering up expansive views off the coast, rolling grassy hills, stunning geologic features, and so much more for all to explore. What better way to bond with loved ones than a walk in the great outdoors.
Plus there are the usual suspects to keep everyone happy: amazing restaurants and cafes, outdoor markets to shop and play, and a visit to one of our two blowholes. Keep in mind we are only a hop, skip and jump away from places like Inflatable World, ten pin bowling alleys, and Flip Out (trampoline). Visit the Kiama Visitor Information Centre and check out School Holiday Flyer and/or our Family Fun page for more ideas and inspiration.
Still unsure? Not to worry, there’s always more to do:
- Canyoning – if you’ve been to the rainforest and still want more, Eagle Rock Adventures have got you covered. Follow your guide into subtropical rainforest for a day filled with activity. With everything from abseiling to rock slides and jumps, this isn’t for the faint-hearted but happily caters to all experience (or inexperienced) levels.
- Barefoot bowls – (Gerringong, Kiama and Jamberoo) perfect for groups of all ages, from the young to the young-at-heart.
- Something for the parents – Pilates and Yoga
- Seriously cool playgrounds & skateparks – Coronation Park, Hindmarsh Park, Emery Park, Gainsborough Chase Reserve, Kevin Walsh Oval (to name a few).
- Granties Maze & Fun Park – get lost in the coolest looking hedge, this side of anywhere! This maze also has some unique rides you can’t find any place else.
- Events – check out the fun events we have lined up for the holidays and throughout the year.
- Bike riding
- Shopping – Toyworld
- Kiama Library
- Bishops Bigfoot Adventures
- The Treat Factory
- Early Start Discovery Space
- HARS Aviation Museum
OK, and maybe just one more: our personal favourite—a walk through Minnamurra Rainforest!
Lastly, as you may be aware NSW is experiencing an unusual number of fires for this time of year. Please check out RFS Fires Near Me, NSW Transport on desktop or mobile and if you plan to visit a park please visit NSW National Parks for any alerts or warnings before you travel.