There is nothing like walking to get the feel of a place. Step this way, we have plenty of marked and unmarked walks & tracks throughout the coast and hinterland. Coastal walks, heritage trails, bush walks - get maps, guide, tips and user friendly details from the Kiama Visitor Centre.
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve offers a variety of walks ranging from 2km to 8km and is a bird watches paradise that encompasses the Illawarra Lookout. Access is from Jamberoo Mountain Road, and also includes the Minnamurra Rainforest Centre that features 4.2km of elevated and paved walking tracks and is accessible to all ages.
The user-friendly Kiama Walk-it map identifies locations of popular walking paths and tracks and also provides information on the time taken to complete each walk, distance and grade of difficulty. Download the Kiama Walk-it Map.
If you're after the Kiama Coastal Walk, please click here.
Notes and Tips for Walkers
- It's rare, but after heavy rain Werri Lagoon might be open to the sea, and may inhibit your walk on to Werri Beach. Contact Kiama Visitor Centre for an update 02 4232 3322.
- Do not leave children unattended. Some parts of the walks are along unprotected cliff tops, everyone needs to be mindful and sensible.
- Make sure you take water with you, use sun protection and suitable footwear.
- Be prepared in wet weather.
- Take your mobile phone. Although remember reception may be broken at times.
- Don't walk alone. Let someone know your plans and time of return.
- Avoid the middle of the day in summer time, early morning is best.
- Don't start long walks after midday in winter, just in case it takes longer than you planned.
- Be mindful of your own fitness level and abilities